Quotes

"Dialogue is mutual search for a new reality, not debate to win with stronger arguments. In a dialogue propositions are pointers toward a common new reality; not against each other to win a verbal battle, but complementing each other in an effort to accommodate legitimate goals of all parties, inspired by theories and values, and constructive-creative-concrete enough to become a causa finalis". Galtuung


"I use the concept of affect as away of talking about a margin of manouverability, the 'where we might be able to go' and 'what we might be able to do' in every present situation. I guess 'affect' is a word I use for 'hope': Massumi


"A discourse is a system of words, actions, rules, beliefs, and institutions that share common values. Particular discourses sustain particular worldviews. We might even think of a discourse as a worldview in action. Discourses tend to be invisible--taken for granted as part of the fabric of reality."Fairclough


Emergence is “the principle that entities exhibit properties which are meaningful only when attributed to the whole, not to its parts.” Checkland


"What the designer cares about is whether the user perceives that some action is possible (or in the case of perceived non-affordances, not possible)." Norman




Tuesday 23 August 2011

Experimentation in qualitative research?

One issue that has concerned me in relation to  Qualitative research is the rejection of the term 'experiment' of course it can be seen to have a history of being used by the dominant discourse of 'Positivist Science'. Milgram comes to mind for example, and the military industrial complex. It has been associated with the 'controlling gaze' (Foucault)  The great turning of qualitative theory is in enhancing our sensitivity, our capacity to listen, perhaps most importantly to those we define as the 'other' within and without... However when we are engaged in discourse and come to choose a question to ask are we not in choosing the question experimenting in some way? 

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I am mixing topic and method here. My topic is concerned with access to experimental random activity. My method concerns language use regarding such access, this division of scientific and qualitative in terms of a negatively/positively valued concept of 'experimentation' is perhaps relevant - more understanding of discourse analysis may help

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see here a relation to actively listening and phenomenological 'bracketing'
    I have always been concerned that unless I actively assume when listening my imprinted and conditioned assumptions my be active, I have felt this happening in seminar discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should discuss this with Kathleen

    ReplyDelete